MEMORANDUM # 01-0313-2020
TO : ALL FACULTY MEMBERS AND STUDENTS OF AIJC GRADUATE SCHOOL
FROM : Dr. Paz H Diaz, THE VICE-PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMICS
DATE : 13 March 2020
SUBJECT : CONTINUITY PLANS OF THE GRADUATE SCHOOL DURING THE COMMUNITY QUARANTINE OF METRO MANILA DUE TO THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK
In light of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s Announcements on 12 March 2020 that placed Metro Manila under community quarantine, the AIJC Graduate School will be suspending classes until 12 April 2020. However, registration will be conducted online, with classes to officially start on 17 April 2020. Please be guided accordingly in the following school activities:Online
A. Registration and Enrollment for 3rd trimester AY 2019-2020:
- Complete the online registration form emailed to you by the Registrar and return on or before the last day of enrollment. Make sure you have your updated email address/es listed and contact number so we can send you important documents and announcements.
- Acknowledgement will be given once the Registrar receives your online registration form. You will then be included in the class list per course which will be given to the faculty handling the course.
B. Classroom Management: Classes will be conducted using two alternative modes:
- Blended Learning Mode: In blended learning, faculty members meet students online 60% of the time and hold face-to-face meetings 40% of the time. This is possible when the alert level pronounced by the Department of Health (DOH) is Code Red 1.
- Total Distance Learning Mode: This method will be applied during Code Red 2, which is the highest alert level given by the DOH. In this case, class meetings and class assignments are delivered 100% online. The faculty members may choose from among the following apps for contacting and guiding the students throughout their course work:
1.2 Short Messaging System
1.3 Messaging apps
1.4 As soon as the AIJC GS is able to put up a general Learning Management System (LMS), all faculty and students may start using this LMS.
C. Announcements and Assembly
- AIJC follows all DOH and LGU pronouncements. Thus, assemblies or mass gatherings that may include faculty orientations or meetings, school assembly, or visits from the public have been cancelled and are currently not allowed inside school premises.
- In the absence of DOH or LGU pronouncement, Dean will declare the appropriate announcement.
- Announcements will be sent by any or all of the following methods: Email blast, chat groups used by AIJC GS officials to contact the students, SMS, other messaging apps.
D. Library Management
- Faculty members will send their Course Outline and Program Essentials (COPE) to all the enrolled students to maximize online references.
- Borrow/return via courier (at student’s or faculty’s expense).
- Weekly renewal of book loaned via email.
- Students should use their course’s specific COPE to maximize learning through online references.
- Faculty members will update digital references per course.
FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION WOULD BE THE FOLLOWING:
E. Comprehensive Exams
- The AIJC Graduate School will use digital means to have the students answer comprehensive examination questions. Most Learning Management Systems allow students to take examinations online, with time limits set by the system itself.
- Comprehensive Exams will be available on agreed dates and time set by the AIJC Graduate School and the student taking the exams
F. Thesis Proposal Defense/ Thesis Defense
- Advising and guidance from thesis adviser will be done online through email or other messaging apps.
- Actual defense shall be conducted on agreed date and time through online apps like Skype, Hangout, or Zoom.
For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact any of the following:
Paz H. Diaz, PhD: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Vice President for Academics
Mary Christine A. Culibao, MCM: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Assistant to the Dean and Program Coordinator
Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication (AIJC)
G/F NowPlanet.TV Building, 2244 España Blvd., Sampaloc, 1008 Manila, Philippines
E-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternate e-mail addresses: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Landline: (02) 8-743-4321 / (02) 8-740-0396
Graduate School Memorandum # 01-0313-2020