This is a two-day course for individuals who want to enhance their knowledge and skills in writing news articles and features for publication. Participants will learn how to write news stories, features, press releases, titles, headlines, and captions for photographs. Writing exercises will help hone the participants’ skills in developing news and feature articles.
The training will be conducted on September 9 to 10, 2021.
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for public relations practitioners, junior communication officers, and information assistants who want to expand their knowledge and sharpen their skills in news writing and news development techniques. Editorial contributors to corporate publications who want to learn the rudiments of feature writing will also benefit from this course. It is also ideal for freelance writers who write features for marketing communication purposes.
Module 1: Characteristics of news
Module 2: Imaginative structure of news stories
Module 3: Sources of news
Module 4: Writing headlines, titles, and captions
Module 5: What the feature report is
Module 6: Types of features
Module 7: Techniques in feature writing
Module 8: Practical tips in feature writing
- Participant interface
- Presentation of outputs
- Individual exercises
- Critique of writing outputs
The training will be conducted using online video-conferencing facilities that will be hosted by AIJC. The link to the training session will be shared only with the Resource Persons and the training participants for uninterrupted learning. Participants need to ensure their access to reliable internet connectivity during the training sessions.
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
- write news stories based on corporate activities;
- write captions, headlines and titles for news articles;
- identify the different sources of news in a corporate setting;
- demonstrate the capability to track news leads;
- write features on corporate activities;
- distinguish between the different types of features;
- identify which feature leads can readily capture the readers’ attention; and
- demonstrate how to sustain the reader’s interest from start to end of the feature article.
Course fee is PHP13,000.00 per participant.