07 June 2017 – Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano received an official replica of the priceless Carta Hydrographica y Chorographica de la Yslas Filipinas Manila 1734, also known as the Murillo-Velarde map, which is regarded as the “mother of all Philippine maps.” Philanthropist Mr. Mel Velarde Velasco turned over to the Secretary the official replica in a simple ceremony at the Office of the Secretary, DFA Building on May 30.
Considered as the “holy grail” of Philippine cartography, the 1734 Murillo-Velarde map shows the entire Philippine archipelago in such detail that it is regarded as the first ever scientific map of the Philippines. The map was named after the Spanish Jesuit friar Pedro Murillo Velarde who prepared it with the help of two Filipinos, Mr. Francisco Suarez, who drew the map, and Mr. Nicolas dela Cruz Bagay, who engraved it.
The original Murillo-Velarde Map was unveiled at the Carlos P. Romulo Library of the DFA on May 30. Undersecretary Enrique A. Manalo, Undersecretary Linglingay F. Lacanlale, Assistant Secretary Lourdes O. Yparraguirre, other officers and staff of the DFA, members of the Diplomatic Corps and representatives of other Government agencies joined the opening of this special exhibit of the 1734 Murillo-Velarde Map.